Friday, November 4, 2016

How to Style Black Watch Plaid

How to Style Black Watch Plaid

ferragamo varinas and louis vuitton speedy 30

how to layer with turtlenecks

how to style black watch plaid for women

david yurman cable bracelets and louis vuitton speedy 30
Bow Flats (option with a heel)// Louis Vuitton Speedy 30
It's no secret I am a huge fan of black watch plaid anything. It is one of my favorite tartans and pairs so nicely with everything. I would almost considerate a neutral! Not to mention, it's especially cozy and appropriate this time of year. 

I've had this Brooks Brothers flannel shirt for years and wear it often. While the exact shirt is not in stock any longer, I have found a few similar options that you can get this year as well as some other plaids to get a similar look.

I'm very particular about plaids (I think some can get too cheesy and some are not classic enough for my taste) so I'm only including ones that I personally love. This festive plaid is my absolute favorite-- I can't wait to style this as the holidays quickly approach!

Another suggestion for finding great, classic plaids is to shop the men's section. I'm no stranger to doing this. I think they have more options and sometimes the oversized look is flattering. But, my biggest suggestion is to try on in person so you know how it fits! I've had a lot of luck with J.Crew men's shirts in the past! 

My favorite way to style a flannel? Layering with a turtleneck underneath. It's a very 80's/90's preppy style, but I just love the look. It is very reminiscent of something you'd see someone wearing in Home Alone, don't you think? This turtleneck comes in a bevy of colors and has been a favorite for years. It is super thin so it's really nice for layering purposes. Check out this video on how to roll your sleeves like a pro to finish off this type of look! 

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm not a big fan of plaid, but I absolutely love how you styled this! Plus, that plaid shirt is adorable!

Ashley // MyWellDressedLife.com

Suburban prep said...

I love plaid, too.
This year I did purchase the royal Stewart red plaid Brooks Brothers shirt--similar to the one you have pictured. I also have the black watch plaid jumper from them.
There was the wrap/cape that Tuckernuck carries that is in black watch plaid.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure